Since July 2018, Forward For Life and Common Unity have delivered SCHEMA as part of the Birmingham and Solihull CCG NHS commissioned mental health training, as in-house training for the Housing Sector (Trident Reach) and across Coventry and Warwickshire through the Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Partnership Trust as part of their Wave 1 STP for Suicide Prevention to over 400 delegates with an overall average rating of 9.5 out of 10.
SCHEMA is a one day suicide prevention course that supports professionals and community members in effectively helping people with suicidal thoughts.
This course has been being designed and developed by experienced facilitators and practitioners in the fields of suicide prevention, mental health and well-being.
- To provide delegates with knowledge around suicide and the skills to support an individual who may be thinking of taking their own life.
- Enable participants to learn how to develop a collaborative helping relationship focused on life options for the individual at risk.
- To equip participants with practical tools and a framework for understanding the needs of a person at risk along with a Life Plan Model that features risk assessment and future life planning approaches.
- Provide a safe environment for practice to build confidence and skills.
Learning aspirations for delegates
- Spot the signals of possible suicidal ideation
- Ask the right questions
- Explore with empathy
- Assess risk level and forward plan
- Enable short term support and appropriate signposting
- Learn the skills that could save a life
The delegates have hailed from a range of professions and a myriad of backgrounds from both the public and private sectors.
More specifically, this included the Local Authority, Social Work representatives, the Mental Health Trusts, Mental Health charities, Young People’s services, Carers Support services, Advocacy services, Public Health teams, Private and retail sector (including IBM, McDonalds, National Express and the construction sector), Homeless Support, the Education Sector, Housing and Floating Support, Autism support services, Work programme representatives, Substance Misuse Services, Later-Life Support services, Domestic Violence Support services, Emergency services, Disability Support Services and many more.