SCHEMA: 25/09/20 – Sorry Fully Booked
Course: SCHEMA: An Approach to Suicide Prevention
Training Type: Face To Face
Duration: 8 Hours
Date: 25th September 2020
Location: Birmingham. UK
Status: Fully booked
Death by suicide is devastating and far reaching across our communities. It takes 3 times more lives per year in the UK than lives lost in accidents on all our roads. The most recent data tells us that over 6000 people died in the UK by suicide in one year. That means that every day, 16 people take their own lives in the UK.
But we can have an impact on this devastating act through learning skills to support a person with suicidal thoughts to consider life as an achievable plan.
SCHEMA is a one day suicide prevention course that supports professionals and community members in effectively helping people with suicidal thoughts.
This course has been being designed and developed by experienced facilitators and practitioners in the fields of suicide prevention, mental health and well-being.
- To provide delegates with knowledge around suicide and the skills to support an individual who may be thinking of taking their own life.
- Enable participants to learn how to develop a collaborative helping relationship focused on life options for the individual at risk.
- To equip participants with practical tools and a framework for understanding the needs of a person at risk along with a Life Plan Model that features risk assessment and future life planning approaches.
- Provide a safe environment for practice to build confidence and skills.
Learning aspirations for delegates
- Spot the signals of possible suicidal ideation
- Ask the right questions
- Explore with empathy
- Assess risk level and forward plan
- Enable short term support and appropriate signposting
- Learn the skills that could save a life
Book a place
Sorry but there are no more places available on this day.
To discuss our future training dates, what we can offer or to book a session for your organisation please get in touch
About the facilitators:
Terry Rigby (Forward For Life) and Caron Thompson (Common Unity) are recognised Suicide Prevention Trainers with 50 years combined experience of working in the mental health, suicide prevention and wellbeing sector both in a strategic and operational capacity.
Since 2012, Terry and Caron have delivered suicide prevention training on behalf of Birmingham and Solihull NHS, Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council, Dudley Borough Council and Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Partnership Trust. Training has also been delivered across the UK to private sector and national charitable organisations including IBM, Crisis, GazProm, McDonalds, National Express and BetFred.
Since they began co-facilitating, over 3000 people have benefited from learning suicide prevention skills through Caron and Terry via a range of training programmes and events.