WISE STEPS is an online ‘gatekeeper’ training workshop built on years of experience and best evidenced based approaches in the field of suicide prevention.
Designed, developed and delivered by Forward For Life and Common Unity, WISE STEPS provides a strong foundation for those seeking the tools needed to support people who may be struggling with thoughts of suicide.
Maximum Delegate Number: 14
Duration: 3 Hours
Who is this course for:
WISE STEPS training aims to support organisations and communities to be better prepared to identify and support those at risk of suicide.
How you benefit from WISE STEPS:
- Understand the impact of suicide and the stigma surrounding suicide.
- Gain knowledge of the common myths and misconceptions.
- Have a strong base line knowledge of how to identify those at risk.
- Gain skills in open and direct dialogue on suicide.
- Direct those at risk to appropriate support organisations.
- Knowledge of local and national support resources.
- Increased confidence in supporting a person who may be at risk of suicide.
- Understand the vital importance of self-care and personal support opportunities.
Next level online learning:
WISE STEPS PLUS has been developed specifically for delegates who have already attended the WISE STEPS Gatekeeper online Training.
It provides online enhanced training opportunities to further support those who are having suicidal thoughts.
Maximum delegate Number: 12
Duration: 3 Hours
Who is this course for:
WISE STEPS PLUS is specifically for community members/organisations who have attended the WISE STEPS online Gatekeeper training who wish to develop their skill base further when directly supporting a person with thoughts of suicide to stay safe.
How you benefit from WISE STEPS PLUS:
- Enhanced skills in open and direct dialogue
- Skills in developing tailored Life Plans and assessing risk concerns.
- Understanding and utilisation of ‘exploring safety’ techniques
- Increased knowledge of CARE prioritisation model
- Development of both implementation skills and observation skills through role simulation/case studies
Forward For Life and Common Unity have specialised in the fields of mental health, wellbeing and suicide prevention for a combined period of more than 50 years. They have designed, developed and delivered a range of training programmes across the UK to communities, the public sector and private sector. The training is delivered by Master Trainers in the internationally recognised ASIST and safeTALK suicide prevention programmes.
Our Face to Face suicide prevention training
SCHEMA is our one day course that further supports delegates with skills in developing individual Life Plans for people with thoughts of suicide. SCHEMA is delivered currently as part of the Birmingham and Solihull suicide prevention NHS programme and has been successfully delivered to as part of the Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Partnership Trusts programme for reducing suicide. By attending the SCHEMA course which is our face to face eqivilent to attending our online Wise Steps Plus Suicide Prevention Training.
For more information on SCHEMA please click here.
Have any questions?
Why not get in touch with us so we can help with any inquiries you may have.
CLICK HERE to go to our contact page or call us on 07585776800
About the facilitators:
Terry Rigby (Forward For Life) and Caron Thompson (Common Unity) are recognised Suicide Prevention Trainers with 50 years combined experience of working in the mental health, suicide prevention and wellbeing sector both in a strategic and operational capacity.
Since 2012, Terry and Caron have delivered suicide prevention training on behalf of Birmingham and Solihull NHS, Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council, Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council and Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Partnership Trust. Training has also been delivered across the UK to the private sector and national charitable organisations including IBM, Crisis, GazProm, McDonalds, National Express and BetFred.
Since they began co-facilitating, over 3000 people have benefited from learning suicide prevention skills through a range of training programmes and events.